Torsion arm anchor bolt replacement

TangyWhisky

Hi guys, new here so please let me know if I need to post elsewhere! I recently got an '84 720 King Cab 4x4 and dove into replacing all the worn bushings on the front suspension. While removing the drivers side torsion arm anchor bolt (part # 54216-54W00) it snapped while removing, most likely from me installing it wrong the first time. I have searched high and low online, however I cannot find a replacement as they are NLA. 

Does anyone have an idea of where I can find another one? Or another alternative I can use before I lose my mind over this ONE BOLT?!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://redeye-designs.com/pictures/ratsun/FAQ/torsion_bar.jpg

As long as you have that half moon part any fine thread bolt with similar thickness and length will do. Take the broken one in with you to a fastener or auto parts store or a machine shop. They are metric but SAE and two matching nuts will work just fine. In metric it's grade 10 and SAE grade 8 should be ok.

Sorry for the reddit link, its the only way I know how to share a URL photo link, The 4wd anchor bolts I have are M12-1.25x282mm (approx, maybe stretched 2mm) and approximately 120mm of threading on them. Do you know the dimensions for the 2wd anchors? 

Also, I saw another comment you made awhile back asking how the torsion bars stay in place since they don't have the locking C clips on the front end, if you zoom in on the last pic on my reddit post there's a bar on the back of the anchor arm to keep them from sliding out!

It was awhile ago, I read the post and was prying at that supposed collar for a hot minute to get to what I thought was the C clip, but gave up and removed the rear anchor arm and the whole torsion bar slid out... No C clip or indication of one at all! The Haynes manual I have even mentioned a C clip and dust boot there but on mine it was a metal collar in its place. I can send more pics of the setup on mine when I get back out to my shop. 

From what I can tell searching online, the 2wd anchor is similar to the one Nissan switched to on the D21 and up which is about 170mm overall. Accidently ordered a D21 anchor bolt off Ebay thinking they'd be close enough and should be here next week or so, I can update with some pics of the differences if it'll be helpful!

I need torsion bars badly the only thing keeping me off the road I could use torsion bars from a 68 to 72 Datsun 521 pickup anybody has any for sale please let me know or if you administrator no of anything I can do please please let me know because my mechanic reindex them and they still just fall because he says they're shot out and rusted the teeth are gone and so are the inserts that that torsion bars go into just rusted out

Just an update I was able to find 2 of the anchor arms for the 4wd 720 (updated part number 54216-54W00) on yoshiparts.com. website is new and kinda sketchy and the few reviews I found were 50/50 at best. However after a week after ordering them I got an email yesterday saying they were being overnight FedEx shipped and they came through! 2 new in box bolts, now time to get the 720 back on the road. 

• Like 1