'86 720 4x4 Whats up with this Oil Pan?

IronFromIce

Hey Everybody, new forum user and 720 newb here. Just got an '86 720 4x4 from a buddy and as i started poking around i noticed the oil pan looked off. The drain plug is in a ridiculous spot.  After some googling this pan looks different than others. The engine says its a Z24. Here are some pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A2nqLgl.jpg

NNRBICS.jpg

MokQ0tN.jpg

RmHhcn7.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple, that is not a 4x4 oil pan. That's a Z24 2wd oil pan. Ask your buddy if he swapped the engine. Maybe the old engine is around and you can get the oil pan off of it.

I only have the oil pan picture for an L series 4x4 720 so you'll have to just imagine that the lower sump on the right in the picture below is actually on the left where Z series engines had them.

iuGaIzW.jpg

If you look under from the front you'll see that the differential is mounted slightly to the driver's side leaving more room on the passenger side for the oil pan.

MokQ0tN.jpg

Looking forward from the rear the lower bulge sump would be to the right and the differential itself slightly off set to the left which it is.

A Z22 4x4 pan should also work. Be sure to get the pick up tube that comes with it.