710 front strut inserts

Making good progress on my 76 710 wagon but have run into a challenge finding front strut inserts. I've read the threads here about that, but wondered if anyone more recently has had luck sourcing them or something else other than coil-overs that might fit/work. Mike, I believe you indicated you went with COs.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. COs are way to expensive to simply be along for the ride once your ride height is set. It would be different if you were changing ride heights every day, but you aren't. It's just hundreds of dollars doing nothing.

I trimmed the lower spring perch off and ground away the old weld so the perch could slide up and down the strut tube and supported the spring perch with a 2" split collar. Takes a while and several tries but once the height is where you want it it's less than $20 along for the ride. Still adjustable but in all the years they have been on I have never adjusted them. I also calculated the amount of spring to trim to increase the coil spring rate by 50%. This cost nothing and uses the old stock spring so no cost involved. So far about $25 to make ride height adjustable.

I poured the old thin watery hydraulic oil out and replaced with 20w Bell Ray motorcycle shock oil. A liter is $15 and there's enough for 3 struts. Thicker oil resists being pushed through the internal shock valves a lot more than the thinner oil, so it firms them up nicely. Better than new.

The Datsun/Nissan struts are oil bath with the damper submerged. If they have already been thrown away and replaced with dry inserts then all you can do is replace the inserts. I like the fact the stock compression and rebound is retained, suitable for the 710 and not for a VW Babbitt or w/e the generic insert fits.

If getting an insert you can get them a little short and stack washers under then to make up the difference.

Lowered, adjustable, increased spring rate and renewed dampers for under $50.

• 6 months later...