tranny question

harleyman

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a short tail FS5W71B tranny. Lord knows I have tried to find out what years and models had it but to no avail. I asked on a 720 site and received several replies. Here's two:

'83 reg cab 4X4

'85KC 4X4

Both owners say their trucks came with the short tail 5spd then several others would say they have the same truck but with the regular long tail. Some suggest it's for room to fit the trans case behind, but I have a long and it fits with a 10"-11" drive shaft and I have seen the longer 16" for the short.tranny. Seems like they were in 4X4s for sure.

I did have a guy nearby who had a tranny problem, actually I said it was the clutch but he didn't listen and I moved on. Later I heard from the local yard that he bought a tranny from them and had to bring it back because it was too long. Have to assume his was a short.... I've just never seen one.

I just checked some of your posts and you have a 521? If you are running an L motor this 720 5speed won't work in it.

It would make sense only if you are running a NAPS Z or KA motor.

It sure will. I have an '80 with out the hole. Some did have the hole machined out and a cover over it. Haven't seen one yet.

Out of the 7 responses only one was a 2wd '85 and it was long tail. Another swears that all Z24 4X4 were short and I checked the local one and have to agree it might be, I just cant get under it to measure. Just assumed it was long. There aren't any Z24 2wds here to look at. Z24 engines only came in the '83.5 to '86 720 if you want to check them.

Sorry I couldn't help much.

Edited by datzenmike

Nissan up-graded the FS5W71B with larger 62mm counter shaft bearings and steel syncro rings starting in '84. For '86 a new 2" longer tail stock with 6 bolt cover and improved shifter mechanism was added and this tranny was renamed the FS5W71C. If you are running any KA engine I would recommend the stock C type that was meant for them. It can handle the extra power

You have a 521 right? I see where you would want a short tail NAPS Z engine bolt pattern to fit the KA motor now. Well if you are thinking of a long tail you might as well get the C type that is stock on the KA motor. The 620 had a notch cut in the bench seat.... would it fit the 521?

IMG_0237.jpg

Edited by datzenmike