Need help with my 521 heat and fuel gauges not working right.

So I parked my 70 521 for the winter and have come back to my gauges and signals not working. I have since found that the signals weren't working beacuase of the hazzard switch connector plug was broken and not making proper contact.

Now I've been trying to figure out the gauges, everything else works, just the heat and fuel gauges. So the issue is when I first turn the key on it works as usual then after maybe 30 seconds they drop to there off position, then if I continue driving or even just sit with the key on it will start to turn back on then just stops and back to off position again.

I have cleaned the fuse box and all of its connections, and all new fuses as well. Just looking for a direction to go before I rip the cluster out.

Thanks, Rylie

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ZjSpgdj.jpg

I think this is the 521 voltage regulator. It uses the 12 volts from the battery and regulates it to about 8 volts for both gauges. This avoids the gauges reading higher when the alternator is charging at 14+ volts or idling at 12volts with all the lights and heater/wipers on.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

ZjSpgdj.jpg

I think this is the 521 voltage regulator. It uses the 12 volts from the battery and regulates it to about 8 volts for both gauges. This avoids the gauges reading higher when the alternator is charging at 14+ volts or idling at 12volts with all the lights and heater/wipers on.

Ah okay. Thanks a lot I'm going to replace that, luckily I have spare clusters. I have a orange signal cluster in and I like the orange way better than green signals.

Thanks again Mike