F5C63A Gearbox

Green1600

Hi all. I'm a bit new here but have owned a 510 for 20 plus years and have been trying to get it driveable again recently. I'm hoping that someone here might be able to help me out regarding my gearbox. I have recently pulled apart my dogleg 5 speed and found the (steel) synchro rings (?) are worn but I am really having trouble finding replacement ones. The gearbox was originally out of SSS 610 coupe and if my research is right the model of it is a F5C63A. If I am right, this would make it a reasonably rare gearbox which makes me want to restore it even more. Can anyone help with possible parts or info if? TIA

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long is the transmission. The length will tell you if it's from a 610 or not.

The C designates competition Porsche servo style steel synchro rings. The usual dogleg is FS5W63A The W for Warner synchros.

Hi Mike, I haven't measured it exactly but side by side with the original trans it would be around 6 to 8 inches longer. I originally had to extend the hole where the gear stick comes into the cabin to fit it. I thought it was a FS5W63A to start with but when we pulled it apart we found that the rings where steel vs brass, I then found a post of yours circa 2012 and I haven't found any other model it could be other than the F5C63A. The trans was definately sourced from a 610 as I knew the guy and the car it came out of, I don't know for sure it was the original one however. Am I wasting my time trying to find parts for it? The only distinguishable numbers on it are 63a #2

The JDM and Australia markets, perhaps SE Asia also, got an SSS option engine and 5 speed 63A but it was long at 31.5". The 610 that we got came with a 4 speed F4W63, and it was also long at 31.5" same as the 71B transmissions! All our earlier 510/521 and later 710 and A10 F4W63 were short at 26". I have a long 63A in my parts but it doesn't have front or rear case for it. Should be a nice day tomorrow, I'll dig it out and look at the synchros. Never noticed.