z won't idle

Roman Tasel

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I don't know for sure about the ZX turbo but similar year 200sx use basically the same system. There is a fuel pump relay for the EFI. The relay turns the pump on for start, but once running it requires alternator output AND oil pressure signal from the sensor in the block. If the engine should stop from, say an accident, there would be no alt. output and the pump relay will shut off reducing a fire risk. If for any reason oil pressure should drop, again, the pump relay will shut off and save the motor from damage.

If the fan belt is off or the alt bad or some other reason for no output, the fuel pump will shut off and the engine will stop shortly after starting.

If there is no oil pressure (oil light on when running) the pump will shut off shortly after starting.

Not saying this is the case, but check the pump relay or those two inputs.

Listen near the tank for the electric fuel pump and see if it shuts off just before the motor dies.

Edited by datzenmike
  • 8 years later...

ok so I know this thread is super old but im having the same issue and after a month of wrenching im stumped. I replaced the original external pump with a walbro 255 in tank and ran power from the battery and put in switched ground. also replaced fuel filter and all lines. still only runs for a few seconds then dies. any other ideas? again sorry for reviving such and old (and short) thread.

thanks all!