1978 620 L20 trying to fit 280z 5-speed

rAudiOne

I’ve tried to search for posts on installing a 280z trans into my 78 620 (reg cab) and all I keep finding is KA swap.

im concerned about what I’ll need for a rear mount/bracket and what mods I’ll need for the drive shaft, if any.

The trans was included as a spare when my son bought a 280Z, but has since sold his car.

would greatly appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction. Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you had a 4 or 5 speed in the 620, the 280z 5 speed bolts right in.

1/ I would remove the speedometer pinion and sleeve from both. If different put the one from the 620 onto the 280z transmission. Easier to get at now while out than later when it's in.

1a/ Further I would use the release bearing collar from the 620 rather than use the one that may come with the 280z transmission. They may be the same, but why chance it and have to take it back out. Definitely replace the release bearing that's on it.

1b/ I would replace the $5 rear seal on the transmission end where the drive shaft goes it. Again... easier to do now then later under the truck.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

If you had a 4 or 5 speed in the 620, the 280z 5 speed bolts right in.

1/ I would remove the speedometer pinion and sleeve from both. If different put the one from the 620 onto the 280z transmission. Easier to get at now while out than later when it's in.

1a/ Further I would use the release bearing collar from the 620 rather than use the one that may come with the 280z transmission. They may be the same, but why chance it and have to take it back out. Definitely replace the release bearing that's on it.

1b/ I would replace the $5 rear seal on the transmission end where the drive shaft goes it. Again... easier to do now then later under the truck.

Thank you. Hoping to do this in the coming months. So the rear mount should be the same, as well as the drive shaft (length)? That would be great!