Usable parts from an Xterra for a 620

Duke_Spookem

Hey guys, looking for some info on suspension and driveline upgrades for a 78 620 on deaths door. I'm in the process of inheriting a First gen Xterra for parts. I was wondering if the front and rear suspension was reasonable to adapt to the 620. Potentially the entire rear end which I presume will need to be narrowed. I'm sorry if there is a thread already but any insight is appreciated. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has to be 2wd. The 4 cylinder WD21s will have the same H-190 differential but the axle assembly is wider. There's nothing on the 620 axle that can't be replaced a lot easier than shortening a WD21 axle. The differential is a bolt in third member. I mean what's wrong with yours????

The Xterra is three generations removed from the 620. Everything is different. Well... the rims have the same bolt pattern.

Thanks for your input, xterra is 4wd I believe. I have a few things up in the air on the datsun still and I figured I would look into it a little while I wait since I would already have the parts around. I think the stock rear end is fine. Carrier bearing and u joints are shot but that's no biggie. The main reason I asked is there is a decent chance the L20 will be toast (I'll know next week). I hope it comes back to life and I can just service the remainder of the truck accordingly and enjoy it. If not I have a complete more modern drivetrain would be available. I also have a rebuilt 350 sbc without a home. Either way it's eventually a complete frame off resto on this truck to save it. Frame is really quite good and straight everything else is rotten bad. My fingers are crossed for the L20 but If not and I have to throw something else in can the split driveshaft, rear end and suspension combined handle more power alright? I'm not trying to squeeze a max power build into this but i would be throwing around 250 hp at it if I did swap. At least with the SBC. Probably less with the xterra K if it's got one. Thanks again you are awesome.

The 4x4 will have a different non matching differential.

The carrier bearing? I know of only one case of the carrier bearing going bad. It hardly has any load on it and it's the rubber surround that rots away and the driveshaft flops around under load.

06NRVt4.jpg

rBJLOxf.jpg

72 Datsun 620 driveshaft n Join broke.. - Drivetrain - Ratsun Forums

All you need do is wrap a strip of rubber matting or like I did (conveyor belt) around the driveshaft and clamp it down so it can't move. The surface the belt holds still is what the bearing allows to stay while the driveshaft spins inside. I did mine (not this picture) as a temporary fix but it worked so well I left it.

350? (groan) they simply do not fit. Either the radiator gets put in the box with electric fans or the engine goes back and the firewall is cut out to make room and you loose the heater. The H-190 will handle just under 300 ft lbs.