2.4 Z MOTOR

LOOKING FOR INFO

I BOUGHT A 1985 720 TRUCK WITH A 2.4 Z MOTOR IN IT. THE PREVIOUS OWNER DID SOME MODS TO IT BUT NEVER FINISHED PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER  BEFORE HE DIED.

THE MOTOR HAS A HEAD ON IT WITH ONLY 4 SPARK PLUGS ON THE INTAKE SIDE, PLUG HOLES ON EXHAUST SIDE WERE EITHER FILLED IN OR NEVER DRILLED OUT.

MY PROBLEM IS THE OIL PUMP/DISTRIBUTOR WERE NOT INSTALLED. THE DISTRIBUTOR IS AN ELECTRONIC ONE FROM A L20 MOTOR. 

WHEN I INSTALLED, THE MOTOR MISFIRES BADLY AND WILL NOT RUN. TRIED MOVING DISTRIBUTOR ROTATION AND LITTLE OR NO IMPROVEMENT. CHECK AND RECHECK  AND NO IMPROVEMENT. 170 PSI COMPRESSION ON ALL CYLINDERS. TIMING CHAIN IS MATCHED UP ON #2 ON CAM AND PROPER SPOT ON CRANK.

I SET OIL PUMP/DISTRIBUTOR SHAFT IN PROPER PLACE FOR A 2.4Z MOTOR, DISTRIBUTOR ROTOR MATCHES PISTON FIRING ORDER AND POSITIONS.  NEW COIL, WIRES, PLUGS, CAP AND ROTOR.

OLD OWNER HAD ALL POLUTION STUFF REMOVED, RUNING A HOLLY CARB AND WIRED TRUCK FOR ONE COIL

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?  ANY ADVISE WOULD BE HELPFUL,    IS OR WAS THIS SET-UP DO-ABLE?    MOTOR DID RUN ON OLD HEAD WITH 8 SPARKPLUGS AND CARB SETUP.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All capitols is considered shouting. Save it or when you really need to shout.

There is no advantage to 4 plug operation, 8 plug is better. But that said it should run fine on only 4. The Z24 8 plug engine were all EI (electronic ignition) so again no advantage to an L series distributor. Perhaps the Z24 head failed and all that was available was the '80- Z20 head from the A10 or S110 200sx. These were 4 plug through '80 in Canada then switched to 8. All Z22 heads were 8 plug so has to be a Z20 head. Again it should run so lets get to it.

Accurately set engine to TDC on the number one compression stroke. Confirm it's the compression stroke by taking the valve cover off and looking at the number one cylinder valves and rocker arms. Both valves should be shut, valve springs fully up and the rocker arms should wiggle slightly from their 0.012" clearance. In fact all valves should have a slight clearance when closed and wiggle. Better check them all if this head was swapped, who knows what was done or not.

At TDC, take the distributor cap off and the rotor should be under one of the spark plug wires or very close. This now becomes the number one plug wire. The next one in a clockwise direction is the 3 then 4 then 2 and back to 1. See what you have and well move on from there.

clock wise direction???  i thought rotation was counter clockwise.

yes it is a Z20 head on a Z24 block.

where is the proper setting for the installation of the oil pump/distributor when motor is TDC ON #1 piston?

is the off set lobe at 11:25 position or 12:30? would like to get this right

What am I thinking, yes distributor turns counter clockwise you turn clockwise to advance the timing, sorry.

With the distributor out the tang on the top of the drive spindle should be at 11:28 with the smaller half moon to the left or front of the engine. The tang is slightly off set so the distributor can only go in one way. The oil pump and the spindle have a dot punched into them. Line these up when you put the spindle into the pump and install and it should be close to 11:28