Does anyone make new 1973 240Z Engine Bay Wiring Harnesses?

geob415

Hey eveyrone,

I was scrolling through Zcardepot and I noticed that they had a new early model wiring harness for sale. The ad explains that it works for early cars but not for later model 240Z's. I was wondering if anyone knew where Zcardepot bought this kit from and where I can find one specifically for a 73 240z. I know this one would work but i'd have to modify it which is not ideal when it comes to wiring. Also, If anyone knows where I can find a brand new stock wiring harness that would be amazing. Here is the ad for the wiring harness: https://zcardepot.com/products/engine-wiring-harness-original-style-240z

https://imgur.com/nPjF7i5

Thanks!

• geob415 changed the title to Does anyone make new 1973 240Z Engine Bay Wiring Harnesses?
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wiring harnesses for the Datsun's are tough.  I'm a 510 guy, part out 510's & am ALWAYS on the hunt for good USED harnesses to use on projects or sell!

At work, we do a lot of Z cars.  The last three street cars needing wiring harness work, we started at one end & worked thru the harness, looking for ANY issues...............most have issues like melted wires, broken plugs/terminals, horrible modifications/repairs etc.  Example..........1972 full resto, customer says ".........here is a good harness to use!"  We spotted one small "melted spot", so we UN wrapped it to inspect.  A wire, almost full length of the wrapped harness was melted, melting into other wires bunched with it!  That USED harness that he said was good, turned into a $1000 rebuild, JUST for the wiring harness!  Happens all the time, even with 510's etc!!  I can sell every good wiring harness for the 510's, Z cars, 620's etc that I find.  Sorry, I do not have any 1973 240Z harness sections.

Vintageconnections is the only source for new repop harness PLUGS & TERMINALS, they have most.......but the problem is, you can not contact them & buy for any particular model!  All you can do is sit down with your harness, start at one end, visually locate each plug on their website & make a list to buy!  You will find quite a few same plugs throughout the harness.  We like to use 3M's "friction tape" to RE-wrap the harness.  All of this is a very long drawn out tedious job, but I'm not aware of anybody making new wiring harnesses throughout any Datsun production range (I'll have to go look at that ZCarDepot harness for the early cars you mentioned!)

If you are shopping for USED, every harness section had a small white plastic PART # TAG somewhere on it.  The engine compartment tag is often gone, but the others inside the car are usually intact.  Trace the other part #'s to find the correct matching engine compartment part # online (you CAN find most 1970's Datsun wiring harnesses schematics/diagrams published online, but have fun.........they are NOT well cataloged from Datsun!!  If you want plug & play, you need to locate THAT SAME PART # harness section(s) that your car should have, otherwise you may likely run into electrical glitches.  If they changed a wiring circuit, they typically changed the switches/relays involved.  Example.........USA spec 1968 510 only, 1969 510 only, first 6 mo's of 1970 510 only, late 1970-1972 510 is basically the same, 1973 510 only.  On top of that the 2dr/4dr Sedan is different than the Wagon!!  I found this out years ago, working on a buddy's early production 1970 510, that melted the dash harness.  I attempted to "adapt" a later harness, but the color codes of the wires were NOT even the same.  That said, it took me 6+ mo's to find the correct plug & play USED dash harness, by part #.........out of CANADA!!  Ugh, that sucked!!  Electrical is often very complicated!  I worked in the British parts industry for years...........same situation, but there is a company in the UK that DOES make most of the common MG Triumph Jaguar harnesses, applied by vin # & cataloged.  We are NOT so lucky in the Datsun community........yet.

Hope that helps guide you............ 

• Like 1