My First classic - 69 510-Not a pro at cars

3+ years of searching and I really lucked out with this one.  69 510 with the L18 motor and dual carbs. I am very excited to work on this, but am a total novice when it comes to the it all works and is wired.  I hope I can get some help from everyone here.  The runs, but sounds like I have carb issues, adjust or rebuild, not sure.  I have oil leaking from lots of seals and suspension needs work, pulls to the left pretty hard at higher speeds. Gas leak, looks like its from the filler hose. Very little rust.
starting out with the basics, oil change, filter, plugs, cleaning off oil build-up so I can get a better idea of where I'm leaking.

I will get photos uploaded later, once I have the account set-up.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yp5uytu.jpg

Look for the head ID. It's on the bottom ledge above the block and just to the rear of the number one spark plug. If it says 219 you probably have a late L18SSS engine from a Japanese 510 that was imported. They were never sold here but only in the Japanese domestic market. They came with closed combustion chamber heads, flattop pistons, the equivalent of a later L20B cam and dual SU Hitachi carburetors. Here's hoping....

D6bSKDM.jpg

Do they look something like these? Perhaps with rounded tops? See the black plastic twist off caps on the tops? Remove and check the damper oil level inside.  If low they need topping up. I think ATF usually works. It's the simplest easy thing to check.

Most common oil leak on a L series is the valve cover. Oil runs down hill and looks like it could have come from anywhere. Power wash around the valve cover and wash the block off. Keep an eye on the engine as you keep driving it for the first sign of a leak. 

The inlet hose is another common part to wear out.