71 510 wagon headlight switch

Harlink

Hello, I am in the process of wiring a painless kit into my 510.

I've read on the forums and looked at wiring diagrams that the stock wiring for headlights is ground activated and the marker lights are positive activated. 

I've got it all working to a point, But I keep blowing fuses and my wires to the headligjt switch are getting hot. 

So Does the switch ground out where it is fastened too the dash?  Thus causing my short?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the headlight switch sends power to all the front headlights. From there the headlight relay position (Hi or Lo) as selected by the high beam switch an the relay grounds the bulbs selected to turn them on.

Do you have stock glass bulbs or aftermarket ones with the removable bulbs with metal reflectors on the back side? The metal backing will ground to the headlight bucket and blow the fuses.  

• Like 1

I have the stock headlights installed. They are hooked up with positive activation to the headlight switch and a spdt relay is installed to retain turn signal stalk ground activation of the high beams. 

I do not have any of the original wires or relays in place, just the turn signal stock and headlight switch and instrument cluster.  I have the hazard relay but it isn't hooked up currently.

I'm gonna try wrapping the switch with Teflon tape where the nut fastens it to the dash, to determine if it's the switch causing a ground.  Maybe it's just a bad switch. 

Right. I was mainly asking if anyone could confirm If the stock switch grounds out where intentionally on the mounting hole.

I'm going to assume that's my issue and work around it. 

Didn't have the issue before I started putting things back together.

Edit: thanks for your responses  as well. Helped me confirm some other things about original functionality.