1984 720 4x4 Smog pump?

lbpd716

Finding lots of mixed information and not sure which would be right.

We have a new to us 84 with the Weber conversion which will not fly with California emissions.  We have some of the parts to go back to the Hitachi and get everything ready for smog, but I can't for the life of me find if this truck should have an air pump or not.  Will have to take it to a STAR station for title transfer and would like to get moving on getting this sorted and figured out right away.

Also, anyone have a solid recommendation for a rebuilt CA carb source and sources for the smog related parts?  The harness isn't hacked up so hoping to find a carb with the correct electrical connections already in place.  We have the original carb, but its pretty well flogged.  I know it won't be a cheap fix.

Thanks in advance..

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No air pump.  However the stock air filter has a one way reed valve and a pipe to the exhaust manifold. After every exhaust pulse there is a vacuum pulse right behind. The reed valve allows only the vacuum pulses to suck filtered air into the exhaust pipe where the catalytic converter uses the added oxygen to burn off any hydrocarbons. Generally 2wd have one and 4x4s seem to have dual pipes.

• Like 1