Anyone have a bidirectional car scanner or advice about them?

As the title states, does anyone own/use one at work or have any advice?  I am running into problems working with newer cars where I am exhausting my "ability" to diagnose problems.  For instance, I am currently working on a 08 crv with non functional air.  The clutch coil is good, relays are good, blower motor, thermal protector, switch in cabin, condenser fan is good and  pressure is good by my gauges but I cannot get at the pressure switch to test for continuity or to measure the output voltage that the pcm needs.  If I had a scanner, I could view what the pcm is seeing in pressure from it.  I can make the air work if I jump the relay btw.  So I know it works, just not why it wont.  Also would not have spent the other time testing things to find out if they were good.  

That is just one example of a use I would have for one.  Coding keys to the immobilizer would be great as well.

Also have a 2012 versa that only operates in reverse.   It is throwing zero codes.  I have had the pan off and also tested the solenoid pack.  All checks out.  (This cvt fluid NS-2 has what smells like the same amount of sulfer in it as rear end fluid)  It would super swell to go into a program and watch my line pressures, tcm signals etc etc to see if I could diagnose the problem.  I would replace parts inside of it if I could figure out the problem.  Like the oil pump or the belt.

I know part of my problem with some of this is having no formal or informal training doing this stuff.  I am a throw shit at the wall and see what sticks kind of guy.  I am not and cannot be a throw parts and time at a car guy tho.  I use the internet to search and try to find help.  Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you cant find shit that helps you.  I suck at searching btw.

So, any advice out there?  I know I will be spending some loot but it is what it is.  

Thanks

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic