nissan z16 motor

JASACE

Ha guys

IM from new zealand & i hav a 85 nissan navara dlb cab hb. I am runing the z16 nissan motor. All i hav done to it so far is a lumpe cam grind so now it sounds like a rotary at idol. What i wood like to know is what mods you guys hav done to your z16 0r z18 or z20 motors & other things like what carb wood be best to run & if you guys think porting is any good? Any help wood be good thank.

JASACE

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures of that motor!!! All we got were Z20, Z22 and Z24 motors.

We've heard of JDM Z18ET motors:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/motorZ18TETleftside.jpg[/img]"]motorZ18TETleftside.jpg

A cam change is good but the Z head has severe limitations on performance. Power is made in the head and it's design. For power you must have good air flow in and out. (more gas and air = more power) Ideally you want big cam, lots of lift, big valves, big ports and the ability to rev high, so stiff springs and light valve train components. The Z head is limited on how big a valve can be put in, so this leaves opening up the ports and removing casting flash and machine tool marks from installing the valve seats. It has a very sharp short turn radius that can be relieved slightly but never really fixed... again bad design to begin with. I shouldn't say bad design as it was never intended for any performance or high revving and is a good motor for what it does do. Stiffer valve springs will hold the rocker against the cam lobe at higher RPMs and assume you got some with your cam change.

Edited by datzenmike