Dual piston calipers and D21 rotors on 720

TimmyG

Has anyone done this front brake swap? Apparently the dual piston calipers and rotors from a V6 2wd hardbody will bolt onto a 720. 

Some size comparisons gathered from digging thru the internet...

V6 2wd D21 rotors are about 260 mm diamter x 26 mm thick.

Stock 720 (83-86) are about 250 mm diameter x 22 mm thick. 

The difference in pad size is about 1.2 inches in length, with the D21 pad being longer. Pad width is the same. 

Now here is the real question. Is it worth it to add this bigger setup?

I plan to add 18 inch wheels/tires. Those will be much heavier than the 15 inch aftermarket ones currently on the truck. They only weigh 36 lbs each fully inflated. 

The V6 D21 rotors would be heavier rotating mass, just not sure how much heavier. 

Now with my stock brakes in good working order, I can out-stop my tires if I stand on the pedal. Bigger brakes don't fix this. Lol. I will have better traction with better/wider tires soon.  

I would like to have the increased fade resistance knowing that I'm going to add significant rotating mass. And I like the larger aesthetic look of the brakes. 

Concerns are...

Pedal feel-

I am unsure if this swap would give a softer pedal feel or firmer pedal. I prefer a firm pedal. I loathe the effortless, touchy pedal in my new F150.

Brake bias front/rear-

Is this a concern with the fronts being more powerful vs stock rears? I know there is a load sensing valve that will act accordingly. 

So is it worth it for me to swap? I don't drive slow and I'm not easy on the brakes. 

Edited by TimmyG
  • Like 1
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic