Dual Coil/spark system

livemeyer

I noticed the spark jumping from the intake side coil is not as strong as the exhaust side coil, at idle.  I have heard about some people doing a delete on the dual spark ignition system, but I wonder about the opposite.  Can you run a jumper wire between each coil to get a hotter continuous spark across both coils/spark plug sides at all rpms?  It was interesting to discover that removing the coil wire from either coil the engine would keep running at all rpms high and low and idle.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the coil was replaced?

The intake coil is run directly from the ignition switch. The exhaust from the first fuse on the left side of the fuse box. Wire 12volts directly from the battery to the + side of the exhaust coil. If the spark improves then it's not getting full voltage. If no change, witch the wiring between the coils. If it switches to the intake side the module under the rotor in the distributor may be at fault.

Always run the dual coils. They both fire together and like burning a candle at both ends it speeds up the burn time.This in turn allows the timing to be much less than a single coil and less chance for pre-ignition. All engines would have dual plugs if they could. Look at the fastest 1/4 dragster engines they almost all have dual plugs.

• Like 1

Great idea about running the 12v + from battery.  You mentioned the exhaust coil but it is the intake coil that was weaker.  I have always run both coils and will continue to do so.  Was just wondering if it could be beneficial to have both coils tied together so the power of each coil is shared.  I mean, could I try it, it wouldn't damage anything, right?  I also see occasionally for sale aftermarket coils for sale, but I don't see the purpose to that unless one of my coils is significantly weak or nonop and needs replacing.  

• Like 1

Intake is directly from the ignition. Exhaust is from ignition through a fuse. They should be 12v each, just a weird way to do it. Try 12v directly from the battery. (maybe just old wiring) If nothing swap the coils around and see if the problem switches.

• Like 1