crank no start

edZon

So i have replaced ignition switch, spark plug wires. spark plugs, cap, rotor. replaced my oil, filter and some fuel lines that i seen seeping after a few attempts to start the engine. Battery is maintained on a battery tender and is always fully charged when attempting to start car. so the car turns over, with some aid of starter fluid stays running for a bit but does not stay on. my choke lever is a little flimsy but i have managed to free the throttle linkage to get the accelerator pedal to move. i dont know how long the fuel had been in the fuel tank so i removed the line from the tank to the pump and directly fed it in a fuel tank.(2 gal tank) also removed the return line and do see fuel coming out of that. it seems to me i am not getting fuel. the y were highly gunked up but ive sprayed them down with come carb cleaner that has knocked some of the gunk off. underneath the carbs there are rubber lines that get saturated with fuel  believe. what else should i check for? 

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the air filter off and look into the SUs. You should be able to lift the slide with a finger tip easily enough to check they are not stuck. They should slid shut with a click. The choke lever, I think, lowers the jets, effectively to a narrower position on the tapered needle connected to the under side of the slides you just checked.. This would allow more gas in for starts.

Each carb has a fuel bowl and float inside. I'm worried that the gas sat till it evaporated leaving a varnish coating on everything.  Gunk on the outside doesn't mean that much.

510carb3.jpg

The fuel lines from the round float chamber to the jets should be clean and dry.

IMG_1485_zpsz1ncqnpb.jpg

Above all SUs have a fuel line in to each one. The black hoses. They also have an over flow fitting in case the carburetor overflows. The clear vinyl tubing. This would be a disaster with the hot exhaust right there so usually the tubes direct gas down under the engine and.... away. Check and see is this is the fuel wetness you mentioned. This would indicate the floats are stuck open or unable to close. That would need fixing first. Again dried fuel may have gummed them up. You may have to remove them and clean them.

These are not your carb but generally they are Hitachi SUs and similar.

• Like 2