Another Datsun 720 Transmission Post

Yo

I'm getting ready to replace the transmission in my 1982 720 4x4 (Z22). Was looking to delete the transfer case, swap in a 2wd transmission, and run a driveshaft straight back (already deleted the front diff, cv's, and forward driveshaft). I've read, extensively, that the 71-series transmissions are easily interchangeable (with a bell housing swap), and wanted to know if there are any *surprises* i should watch out for - clutch differences, etc. Biggest problem i can forsee at the moment is a.) having to cut a hole in the floor for the stick, and b.) having to make a custom transmission mount.

Any insight would be appreciated!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, forget any connection between the trans used and the clutch used. The clutch doesn't know or care what transmission is behind it and the transmission doesn't car what clutch is ahead of it. You can swap 4 speed, 5 speed, long or short transmissions all day long on the same clutch. You do need to keep the release bearing collar with your clutch. They are a mated pair and MUST be kept together as a unit.

Make sure that a long driveshaft will clear any cross member between the transmission and the differential.

You can use your 4x4 transmission if you have a GPS method of knowing how fast you are going.

There is already a hole in the floor for the shifter you have.

The 71B in the 720 comes in two lengths 26" and 31.5" ..... your choice.