1978 B210 with 280zx Brakes/strut assembly

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Datsun owners,

I have some questions.

After installing 280zx brakes and strut assembly on the B210, what needs to be installed next ? Upgraded brake lines? different control arm ? 

Thank you for your time :thumbup:  

New soft brake lines, flip struts left to right so the caliper is towards the front of the car. Maybe new wheels if still on the stock rims, some 13s don't clear the calipers. Don't forget to realign the wheels when you're done!

What you will need; Super cheap minimal way:

280zx struts (rebuild the insert etc...)

B210 strut spring, strut hat, and the cutoff strut cup from the B210 strut. If using coilovers you don't need these parts (maybe strut hat depending though) and will remove the 280zx strut cup and either weld on a spacer to set the coilovers on or use a bolt on collar.

Cut off the B210 strut cup and set it in the 280zx strut cup, you'll want to take a few coils off the B210 spring too as it is to long. You may need to trim the edges of the 280zx strut cup, but I only found this necessary if running a very short spring or using roll center adjusters. Reinstall switching left and right struts (i.e., left 280zx strut goes on right side of car) bolt everything back on and bleed the calipers. Realign your tires. 

Better way is to cut off the 280zx strut cup and weld on the B210 strut cup a bit lower but it is not absolutely necessary.

Stock brake master cylinder works fine although it will have a bit more travel. Car stops much better.

• Like 1

New soft brake lines, flip struts left to right so the caliper is towards the front of the car. Maybe new wheels if still on the stock rims, some 13s don't clear the calipers. Don't forget to realign the wheels when you're done!

B210 strut spring, strut hat, and the cutoff strut cup from the B210 strut. If using coilovers you don't need these parts (maybe strut hat depending though) and will remove the 280zx strut cup and either weld on a spacer to set the coilovers on or use a bolt on collar.

Cut off the B210 strut cup and set it in the 280zx strut cup, you'll want to take a few coils off the B210 spring too as it is to long. You may need to trim the edges of the 280zx strut cup, but I only found this necessary if running a very short spring or using roll center adjusters. Reinstall switching left and right struts (i.e., left 280zx strut goes on right side of car) bolt everything back on and bleed the calipers. Realign your tires. 

Better way is to cut off the 280zx strut cup and weld on the B210 strut cup a bit lower but it is not absolutely necessary.

Stock brake master cylinder works fine although it will have a bit more travel. Car stops much better.

I bow to the wisdom of Dguy210 on this one.

• Like 2

So far i found some front strut assembly with rotor,hub and everything just need brake calipers and brake pads i'm also going with coil overs to weld on they sell on this web https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/210after i just buy new soft brake lines,14" wheels? and 280zx control arm or b210 control arm still work on the new 280zx assembly?  :huh:     

So far i found some front strut assembly with rotor,hub and everything just need brake calipers and brake pads i'm also going with coil overs to weld on they sell on this web https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/210after i just buy new soft brake lines,14" wheels? and 280zx control arm or b210 control arm still work on the new 280zx assembly?  :huh:     

Keep the stock B210 control arm.

As a note the B210 front suspension is extremely similar to the 510 with very very minor differences. I.e., almost all of the 510 suspension parts and methods work on the B210.