82 720/ z22 turns over, no-start

Soulgraph

So my PS pump blew a seal and was leaking fluid on the alt and wiring below it. Waiting for reman-ed pump but need to move it to avoid tow in the mean time, however now it won't start. It's getting air, fuel and spark but the spark is orange and had some other possible bad coil signs (backfire, intermittent sudden death.) Could the alternator/wiring from the battery being showered in dextron have any thing to do with this, or just coincidence?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not likely. You need fuel and spark and the engine turning over with the starter to get it running.

Are the plug wires clean on that side or covered with ATV? If you took them off to clean maybe you have some switched.

Carb have fuel in the round sight glass on the front?

Carb has fuel in the sight glass.Plugs/ plug wires are clean but I noticed when I pulled the distributor cap in the daylight that the points and rotor contacts were covered in what looked like welding flux. I tried cleaning them off but didn't get a start. Thinking I'll just go ahead & replace since the rotor contact also looked well worn ( I replaced both last year, maybe 5000 miles ago? ). I also tried replacing one of the coils but no joy there either.

Check that the ground cable is clean and tight to the intake and the positive clean and tight to the starter lug.  The starter draws hundreds of amps current when stating and only has 12 volts to push it.