83' 2wd Suspension Upgrade / Lift

Diggs

Getting ready to completely install a new suspension system on my 83' 720  K.C. trying to keep as many original parts as possible.   I will be towing and hauling a lot with the truck and trying to get some recommendations on good heavy duty suspension lift kits (if any?)  that would work with the 720.   Trying to get just about 4-6" more ground clearance.

Would a spring over conversion for the rear make sense?  Blocks up front with gas shocks? 

Regards,

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The front is a torsion bar suspension and there isn't more than a couple of inches you can adjust it without going adding severe camber. This must be avoided because it handles poorly, wears the insides or the tire out and if nothing else looks totally noob retarted.

The rear leaf springs can be re-arched to add lift.

Towing and hauling (loads?) does not automatically mean the truck has to sit higher. Higher will upset the handling and make it top heavy from a higher center of gravity. Towing and hauling needs a firmer suspension ... one that is predictable when driving. Definitely stiffer springs and good shocks. I would just replace the shocks all round with some premium brand and add an extra thicker leaf on the back so the upper springs when loaded settle down on it and can't move much farther. Ride is about the same as the top springs can still move but are restricted with a load.

Tires are also part of the suspension so if you have the stock Light Truck 195s you might want to get something with a stiffer sidewall.

• Like 1