Is it clutch slipping or something else

Oyeller720

I wemt on drive today with 86 720 z24 and everything was okay then i sropped amd accelrated and my rpms would jump to 3000-4000 but truck speed 25mph

And i shift and rpms come down and speed pick up then on steady speed the. Rpms jump and i slow down a bit so on and so fourth

I heard clutch slip but no smell and does it without shifting.

And possibly the clutch pedal height and fuel pump

Prior to all this it ran good no sign of slipping or anything and i didnt drive for 4 months. in that time i changed bed and replaced front cv and ball joint also added straight pipe but kept original exhaust manifold nada i think would effect performance.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try taking off in 4th gear with the E brake on. If you can rev it up and get the clutch pedal all the way up then there is something wrong. A properly working clutch would easily stall the engine.

Causes...

Most usual is the clutch is simply worn out. The PP can loose it's gripping force or the clutch disc wears away all the friction material or both.

Another possibility is the rear engine seal is leaking oil. This will find it's way onto the friction surfaces if a bad enough leak. You will see engine oil dripping where ever the vehicle sits over night.

• Like 1

Sorry for the long awaited reply, but I put it in 4th and e brake and was able to get the pedal almost all the way before it stalled.

I didn't think the clutch pedal height would cause that rpm spike right?

also I looked under it and no oil on ground or any around the bell housing?

From looks of it no matter what I'm going to have to pull tranny I'm thinking.