Reunited and it feels so good

TrouseLife

Been away from my project Datsun and happy to get my hands greasy again.

After struggling last winter with multiple issues with my '82 SD22 (replaced battery, glow plugs, starter, motor mounts, clutch master cylinder, and water pump from what I can remember), I finally had to park it in April because it was burning more oil than I could afford at my then-unemployed state. It sat under my family's porch uncranked until November. My pops cycled the glow plugs a few times but couldnt figure out how I crank it. Mostly covered, mostly dry. Alabama.

When I went to crank it in November, it was a very good crank considering it hadn't seen any life in 7 months. Ran the glow plugs 3 cycles before hit the starter. Quick start. Very sooty black smoke until the engine warmed up.

I go to try and drive it around the block, and it was like trying to drive with the parking brake on. The nose of the truck dipped down upon trying to drive forward though. The parking brake was not engaged. I crept forward a foot or two and opted to not rut out the wet grass. When I reversed back into the garage area, it felt as normal as ever. No bogged down engine or strained clutch.

Could this be some rust built up on the front brakes or something? That's the only way I can figure it without rolling up my sleeves. Waiting on a day with decent weather.

--------------------------------------------------

More importantly though, it is certainly time to do some engine work (at +350k), and this is all new to me. When the Datsun was up and running last it was burning just shy of a gallon of motor oil per month in 3 months of high miles. Last year I think I averaged a quart every two months, but I'm always topping off fluids.

Where should I start my diagnostics for the engine? I was thinking a compression test is in order and, in the least, a head gasket job is ahead of me. Perhaps some valve work?

---------------------------------------------------

That's all so far. Hope all is well with everyone on the forum. Glad to be back.

-TrouseLife

• Like 2
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the parking brake was on, releasing the handle does not mean the brake was released. If the cables are seized the brake will stay on. If you suspect the brake is dragging watch the cables while someone applies and releases them. You should see the inner cable move. Sometimes applying and releasing multiple times will loosen them.

It would seem to be the front brakes are gripping when they shouldn't. Caliper rust would do that, but 7 months? If just rust, driving will polish this off. Maybe a caliper was already seized? Take the wheels off and see if you can spin them by hand. If not, try to retract the caliper pistons by prying on the pads to push them away from the rotor. Be sure to pump up the brakes befor driving it again. 

• Like 1

If you stick it in neutral, can you roll it backward/forward by hand?  That'll rule in/out any transmission or engine issues for this particular problem.  That's assuming you can't get a jack under it easily.  Easy way to get some leverage is to literally put your hands on the tires and spin them forward or backward.  That can also give you a sense of whether any of the wheels is harder to turn than the others.

Also, do you have someone who can watch the vehicle while you're in it?  I'd wonder if the front wheels are sliding or rolling when you go in reverse.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got to do a bit of work on the truck today. Sunshine!

Its been sitting in the cold (lows in the 20s, highs in 40s... not really that cold) for a month or so without being cranked, but it started up like a brand new truck. Very good start. However, the exhaust puked a mixture of water (I'm assuming rain), oil, and soot. I figure it is just water getting into the exhaust system from the tailpipe being slightly turned up. It has been raining like it never would again for days. The liquid was broken oil and clear water. My coolant mix is about 75% antifreeze and is very green. I might be looking a a new exhaust soon as I'm pretty sure I'm working on a good sized rust hole from the slightly upturned tailpipe.

IMG_20160106_154439711_zpsgvtuxlaa.jpg

Glad I put the plywood in front of the dog house.

Aiming to get the brakes worked on this weekend and be driving around the neighborhood this weekend.

Hope all are well.

• Like 1