74 620 Wheel Rim Paint Code? (silvery white???)

Cardinal Grammeter

I just pressure washed my wheels (about to put them on and take off jack stands) and the silver ones were definitely painted.  The rusty ones have patches of unrusted paint that is very close to white with just a trace of silver, blue, or ???

Have been searching internet and have found nothing.

Would be nice to be able to use something in a spray can.

EDIT 5: 

• PPG 33141 is listed as Silver Gray Poly (Safety Bumper Color) on the 1974 PPG Datsun chip page - it looks dark but could be it.  Trying to find examples...  Also, wheels are sometimes painted a "trim color," so would the bumper be the same?  in which case 33141 would be the trim color???

EDIT 4:  The aluminums aren't going to do it - way too much metallic in them.  I was hoping to avoid scouring the auto parts and "home depots" for something off the shelf...

EDIT 3:  Rustoleum High Performance Enamel - Aluminum 7515838 is 214 and may be close enough (closer to white should be closer since it looks like a extra light gray nearing white)

EDIT 2:  Took some photos of the patches of paint and while there are serious issues getting white balance and exposure right, it appears that R=G=B with a value around 200 to 210-ish.  This means it is a gray.   Dupli-Color has Aluminum with an RBG of 192 which is probably a little darker.  Trying to find locally available spray cans where they have their RGB values stated.  D-C is crazy, you go to their web site and there are so many different products, it is an Easter Egg Hunt to find the common stuff at the auto parts stores.

EDIT:  Looks similar to the color of Pearl White (without the pearlescence of course)

found example:

1972.5-Datsun-PL-620-Front.jpgbd62791afdb32e0936aa923be1c3b6ae.jpgd432379344ad70edccd05df97c947d02.jpgmw2804a.jpg4081372495_aebd24ddbe_z.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

David!

CLOSE ENOUGH!  I can get the High Performance Aluminum and the Matte at the Lowes here.  I think I'll do the Alum.

(It's interesting trying to compare photos with a part in hand - too many variables!  But comparing photos works much better.  Seeing your Rusto Alum is what I needed.)

Thanks!

Tom

PS your truck is gorgeous!  Is that an OE color?  if not, what color?

David!

CLOSE ENOUGH!  I can get the High Performance Aluminum and the Matte at the Lowes here.  I think I'll do the Alum.

(It's interesting trying to compare photos with a part in hand - too many variables!  But comparing photos works much better.  Seeing your Rusto Alum is what I needed.)

Thanks!

Tom

PS your truck is gorgeous!  Is that an OE color?  if not, what color?

Glad I could help. Yes, the truck is a stock color. It is all original. I pulled it out of a barn last year.

Here's the thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/64058-barn-find-yes-a-true-barn-find-1977-datsun-620-king-cab/

I am so angry!  The original color of mine was your blue!  And I love that blue!  That, and that "orange mustard" color - I had a 510 that color.

But mine is now red with Rustoleum Sunrise Red a perfect match - so I can't complain about cheap paint.  And I've tried to match my red and with no luck.  The OE paint code is not even close.  We did a spectrum match and it was way off too. 

I am so angry!  The original color of mine was your blue!  And I love that blue!  That, and that "orange mustard" color - I had a 510 that color.

But mine is now red with Rustoleum Sunrise Red a perfect match - so I can't complain about cheap paint.  And I've tried to match my red and with no luck.  The OE paint code is not even close.  We did a spectrum match and it was way off too.

Yep, the color is called True Blue

The code is 103

Here is the window sticker

c8a4c14c94fc2ef09b7bba92e9763a66_zpscaa5

• Like 2

I went with the Matte Nickel.  I also bot the Aluminum and it was too revealing of not perfectly smooth rims but I used it for the inboard paint.  Look hideous over all the rust pits!  Almost left the rims Rustoleum Rusty Red Primered but I had a can of Alum to use up.

Also found a Rustoleum Stainless Steel - I bot a can but I'm going to take it back.  Krylon brushed metallic nickel had some red in it and from what I could judge the OE color is about half way between the Matte and Brushed.  Perhaps the SS would be good?

Also, I noticed your old pic of the truck showed a rear wheel with slotted center - not solid like the OE which you show painted.  Turns out I had a snow tired mounted on one of those slotted wheels.  Turns out they are 14x5" instead of the 14x4.5 inch.  So now I'm looking for another slotted for my other snow tire. 

Do you know what year trucks had the 14x5?

I went with the Matte Nickel.  I also bot the Aluminum and it was too revealing of not perfectly smooth rims but I used it for the inboard paint.  Look hideous over all the rust pits!  Almost left the rims Rustoleum Rusty Red Primered but I had a can of Alum to use up.

Also found a Rustoleum Stainless Steel - I bot a can but I'm going to take it back.  Krylon brushed metallic nickel had some red in it and from what I could judge the OE color is about half way between the Matte and Brushed.  Perhaps the SS would be good?

Also, I noticed your old pic of the truck showed a rear wheel with slotted center - not solid like the OE which you show painted.  Turns out I had a snow tired mounted on one of those slotted wheels.  Turns out they are 14x5" instead of the 14x4.5 inch.  So now I'm looking for another slotted for my other snow tire. 

Do you know what year trucks had the 14x5?

I really like the Matte Nickel. I have used it on many cars in the past. When I went to Home Depot to get paint for my truck wheels, they only had one can and I didn't think it would be enough so I went with the aluminum. I had used that before too. It is very similar to the matte nickel, just a little shinier and a tad darker.

Not sure on the years of the wheels. My truck is a 1977.

The rear ones on mine in that pic was the snow tires. The PO had bought an extra set of wheels to mount them on.

I have 5 date coded original wheels.

78474a98758f12c0cd65f430f2a47243_zpsfoei