Help please! 1984 Nissan/Datsun 720 Bogs

ruvim75

Hi, so i recently purchased a 84 datsun 720 with a z24 engine, drove it home it was all good drove it a couple days then i was being stupid in a parking lot doing "burnouts" when it just bogged down, practically pushed it home, its starts and idles pretty good but once i try giving it some rpms it bogs down then dies, only way i can pick up rpms to about 5000-6000 is if i constantly hit the gas and let go a couple times and itll get up there but if i just hold the gas it dies. Checked the vacuum lines made sure they were all in place they were fuel pump seems to work, thought it was a plugged cat so took the exhaust off completely and started it and actually ran and picked up rpms but the next day i tried it again but it seemed to do the same thing so i guess it isnt the cat, dont know what else it can be... Thanks for you help in advance!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Silt in the bottom of the float chamber has likely shifted and is part blocking the primary jet in the carburetor. This causes a lean condition and it will only rev slightly before 'falling on it's face'. It idles because the fuel for idle is on a separate circuit.

Remove the carb. Cover a table with newspaper so parts won't get lost. The primary and secondary jets are located under the front of the carb and are covered by 12mm plugs.

This is the bottom of the carb with the front to the left side. On the left side you can see the cover plugs that have to come off. They are just below the cover for the front of the float chamber and one is above the other.

101_0099.jpg

When the plug is removed the brass jet is up inside and a suitable screwdriver is needed to get up in there and loosen them. Do only one side at a time as they will interchange and this must be avoided.

I would also remove the front of the float chamber and carb spray any remaining crap out. Have a care as there are parts that will fall out and be lost.