I have seven A10s!!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Andrew, the MkIII thing is something that was created between Datsun UK, the SMMT and the DVLA so is kind of UK market specific. Best of all they didn't even bother using it every time when registering cars as that that was done by individual dealerships. I think the Mk1 and Mk2 versions of the 140j / 160J, as they saw it, referred to the two versions of the 710 in sedan form... the fastback pre-facelift ones and the notchback cars. The Hardtop received small changes at that time too so I think they considered them have become a Mk2 version as well although to my knowledge they never actually used the designation in any 710 registrations. Then the A10 arrived so they decide that MkIII would make a sensible designation but only half heartedly applied it before abandoning the whole 'Mark' thing entirely. Datsun UK never seemed to know what to actually call the cars right from the start as they were alternately referred to in sales literature as '160J', 'Violet'  or as '160J Violet' or '160J Violet Mk3'. 

The Model name designations are agreed at the time between the DVLA and SMMT and are relevant to model codes. I'm in the process of trying to get the DVLA to register an imported KPLA10 correctly as a '160J Violet' which so far they have refused to do as KPLA10 doesn't exist on their system and they don't have cars listed as just 'Violet' which the French Carte Grise shows. Gotta love government bureaucracy!