Vacuum problem

GoHaunter

So I took my 78 280z to get smogged and the guy told me there was a vacuum leak in this area that the picture shows. I also did a smoke test on some vacuum lines and smoke came out of this thing. I would like to know what this part is called so I can replace it if need be.

link to part that smoke came out of

http://imgur.com/SVK3U36

smog report (fixed ignition timing)

http://imgur.com/hhTR5CR

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you suspect a vacuum leak, first replace all the hoses. Easy and cheap.

Now they may just mean that your EGR isn't working and vacuum is needed to run it. It could be a plugged hose or a split, or one of the things in the EGR system is just not working.

SVK3U36.jpg

This is the BPT (back-pressure transducer) valve. Normally EGR (exhaust gas re-circulation) is governed by a ported vacuum signal from the carb or throttle body. There is none at idle and full throttle. A T V V (thermal vacuum valve) further limits EGR to a warm engine so no EGR when cold. The BPT is in line between the ported vacuum signal and the EGR valve. It senses exhaust back pressure and modifies the vacuum signal to the  EGR in direct relation to engine load.

That round Black thing is an orifice used to slightly delay the vacuum signal to prevent rapid vacuum drop in the EGR control line. If they mean the vacuum delay isn't working then suck on one side (or the other) as it's a one way valve it should only work one way. If not replace it.

The T V V is an intentional air bleed to remove the vacuum signal when the engine is cold. Once the engine warms the bleed closes and full vacuum signal can travel to the BPT valve. It should be mounted on the engine is such a way that the end with the sensor in in the coolant. This is another good source of no vacuum. Maybe the valve never closes.

If still not working properly the BPT needs replacing