Torsion bar removal help

Schoolzin

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are going to have to put the nut back on the front of the bolt after removing the washer till the nut is just short of having the head of the bolt sticking out, then use a punch on the center of the bolt, and swing hard, just make sure you don't hit your hand or fingers.

The reason you put the nut on the end is to keep the end of the bolt from flaring while you are whaling on it, I have failed to remove one on my 1963 Datsun 320 truck, I had to give up, the next time I try to remove that bolt if I actually ever do try to again, I will likely have to cut it off on both ends.

I was hitting it really hard to, full swing with a sledge.

At first I was hitting like this till I accidentally missed it and dented my perfect valance. :(

DSCN0185.JPG

Then I started whaling on it with this setup, I didn't miss once.

DSCN0187.JPG

DSCN0191.JPG

Unfortunately I failed to get it lose/out, I gave up after hours of trying.

Wow, that's crazy! I can't believe you went through all of that and that sucker would budge. I'm going to try the punch later when my kids wake up from their nap....if that doesn't work I have a big piece of 4x10 header that I might drill a hole through and try your wood method. :)

I'm just worried about finding replacements if I fubar the spline bolts. Can we still get these? Thanks Wayno!!

The wood was there to hold the 3 foot long piece of re-bar in position so I could hit the end of the re-bar with the sledge, I would only get one swing each time, and then have to set it up again for the next swing.

Keep in mind that I had the nut screwed about 2/3rds onto the bolt, so the semi pointed piece of re-bar would sit in the hole the nut made on the end of the bolt.

When I finally gave up, the end of that bolt/nut was deformed anyway, it was hard to tighten the nut back up.

That is the only one I have ever failed to remove.

Then bolts are hard to come by, but there is a couple 520s in the yards around here that still have them, but getting someone to go pull them is the hard part, I mean they are only worth $5.00 each maybe, but one would spend more than that in gas and admission fee just to get to where they are, and then one has to pull the torsion bars and get/pound them out, it's just not worth the effort unless you do it yourself, as no one is going to pay $50/100 dollars for a couple bolts.

Wayno....I've had success!!! I took the piece of header I had, drilled a hole large enough for the full length of the punch, left the bolt on about half way and took a good swing at it and it moved! It took me another 10 minutes of readjusting the set up as it pushed through and I eventually cracked the header in nearly two pieces with all my missed swings, but the sob is out. Thanks for the advice...good call!

51F4E373-5C09-435F-BC32-902A45A667F6_zps

35B8CD71-B36D-43C4-8F54-588E6C627B59_zps