project 79 620 kc

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright guys its been a long time since I posted here but I have been working on my 620 now since around October and I decided to go all out on it. So to start off My buddy took some pics of the truck right before I started to tear into it.

IMG_0943_zps2oqrl6iz.jpg IMG_0944_zpsvmr8mhhr.jpgIMG_0945_zpsh6srnmos.jpg

My plans for the truck are to do a coilover setup in the front using beebanis mount and uca and qa1 coilovers, so in my mind the best thing to do was to remove the cab, so here we go. 

IMG_1346_zpssycrqj1v.jpg

It took five dudes to get the cab off but it made it alot easier to access the strut mounts for the welding of the upper coilover mounts.

IMG_1366_zpshljtmzhz.jpg

IMG_1444_zpsrenvu8fv.jpg

Here I cut the stock torsion bar tensioner mounts off to clean the frame up a bit.

IMG_1221_zpsbhzsgoq2.jpg

Finally the goods came in. I ended up going with 400lb springs im neverous they will be too stiff, but the springs are cheap enough so im not super concerned.

IMG_1603_zpslus3kozp.jpg

IMG_1604_zpsxhnjkprt.jpg

Also during this time I wire wheeled and por 15 the whole frame semi gloss black and set the back suspension up using d21 belletech lowering leafs, 4 inch lowering blocks and air shocks. .

A ka24de came up for sale through one of my 240 friends and I ended up picking up the motor, trans, wiring harness and ecu for 500 bucks. Here is a pic of the new motor next to the old l20.

IMG_1448_zpse6palj1d.jpg

The motor had 140k on it so i decided to just do a full reseal on the motor and a headgasket and timing chain while I was at it. I do have plans of boosting it down the road so I used a cometic head gasket and arp head studs and went through the head while it was off. starting to tear it down here.

IMG_1583_zpsmvqxwqya.jpg

IMG_1587_zps97xjzls8.jpg

IMG_1605_zpsfhfxpqqr.jpg

IMG_1608_zpsinrpnoqt.jpg

IMG_1640_zpspzpecpzg.jpg

And the motor all back together and cleaned up!

After I put the motor all together I sourced a transmission from a napz 720 and ended up getting a used unit from a junkyard in oregon with 60,000 miles for 275 bucks. From there i put the motor and trans in the frame. 

IMG_1682_zpsw5e05lnh.jpg

IMG_1691_zps9hbo96ur.jpg

IMG_1690_zpsnsfmentx.jpg

• Like 1

I then turned my attention to the cab and took care of a few rust spots and then painted the whole engine bay and and the under side of the the cab. 

FullSizeRender_zpsygvyipp5.jpg

Unfortunately while the cab was in my driveway one of my roomates managed to fling a rock and chipped the windshield so that sucked. After I was done taking care of the cab i managed to wrangle friends up too put the cab back on. 

IMG_1750_zpsyagtvzsu.jpg

IMG_1749_zpsgjgujes6.jpg

Currently I have been reconnecting the brakes using a new 280z master cylinder and replacing the clutch master and slave as well. I also managed to find a set of nice used fenders from a junkyard awhile back but the guy who reomved them messed up the lower front corner of one so I had to graft a piece from the old fender to the new one, 

IMG_1340_zpskak63v0u.jpg

IMG_1343_zpsteup8dqv.jpg

Body work is not my strong suit so we will see how they turn out.