Could be Dizzy issues or ???

jc510

Hi

I am having trouble with my 72 510 Electric Dizzy (black box) SU carbs.  The symptoms seam random:

1 - Engine pings at low engine speeds and not all the time (i started running non ethanol fuel which helped for a little while)

2 - idle goes up and down

3 - Tach starts to bounce and or show higher revs than engine speed

4 - The engine cuts out and has died only to start up a short time later

5 - Possible not related is fuel runs out of the over flow tubes (wasting fuel & possible fire)

I have replaced the cap and rotor, ignition coil, inspected the Dizzy, the Plug wires are newer Taylors, and had the carbs tuned.

Oh it's my daily driver too...

Another note, is there another location this thread should be in?  Can it be moved?

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The tach bouncing (to me) sounds like a loose connection. Engine cuts out and dies is another reason for thinking this.

First make absolutely sure that the distributor is fully grounded. Usually there is a lug on it for a ground wire. On this one it's the upper right mounting screw for the black box...

DatsunEI004Large.jpg

Other things...

This could be the power wire to the positive coil terminal or to the matchbox. It could also be on the other side... the coil negative wire or where that wire connects to the matchbox.

SU flooding can be too much fuel pressure. Stock mechanical pumps are ok. Replacement after market or electrical pumps may be too high a pressure for the SUs floats.

I don't have a ground wire or tab like the top right one in the photo you uploaded on my Dizzy, I was thinking about using a eye bolt and alligator clip a wire to the body just to test it.  How would I be able to diagnose the power to the matchbox? (will a test light work or do I need a multi meter?)

Make a permanent ground wire.  Crimp a lug on the ends and bolt it on.

If there are breaks in power they are likely short duration and a meter may not be fast enough to show them. Just inspect for tight connections.

Carefully unscrew the matchbox and look under the rubber here...

710goonEIdizzy003Large.jpg

Thee two wires should be firmly seated.

EIdizzyandhivoloilpump003Large.jpg