73' Datsun 620 Exhaust

MikeDuB

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Headers are kind of pointless from what the guys have told me here. You may gain a little top end HP, but you lose a lot of bottom end torque, and torque is important on a truck.So far as exhaust goes, it all depends on how loud you want it and how deep? Size wise I wouldn't go no bigger than 2.25"  Custom is the only way to go. I don't think any exhaust companies make a kit for these old trucks. Even if they did it would be overpriced.

Keep the stock manifold and save yourself a headache.  I wish I had kept one of the 4 that I sold.  C'est La Vie

The TopEnd Performance shorty header needs serious work out of the box (my experience) and I'm told they don't last much more than a year before they crack and need to be re-welded at the collector (I haven't run mine that long yet to know). 

You can get a new collector flange for the stock manifold from  http://www.bluehandsinc.com/ .  Mike is a member here.  From that flange, just create your own "y" pipe.  EagleAdam has a pic of what he did, but I can't find it at this time. 

I would argue that in order to retain decent torque, you should not run larger than 2" pipe for an L20B, and 1.75" for stock L16...  But I can see the argument for 2" on L16 and 2.25" on an L20B, if you're looking for top end HP.  Just my 2 cents.

Other than being lighter name one thing the header is or can do better than the stock L16/18 manifold can.

Well that depends on the design of the header. The header I had on my LZ22 hands down owned a stock ex-manifold. Headers being put on stock to modified N/A SR20DE engines are seeing very good gains in HP. Again it all depends on the design of the header. You go and buy one like King Rat has pictured then ya you just wasted you money. On a stock L Series engine you can have very good gains with a well designed header. If your worried about ex noise then stay with the cast stock piece as headers will add some decibles but then we're not build cream puffs right?