any good books for the z motor?

Fishtopher

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Performance books?... not really. The Z series head does not lend itself to much performance modifications because of it's design. Larger valves or high lift cams and the valves touch each other. They work very well at normal driving speeds but do not breath well when revved up.

They do, however have several good points that would make it a good turbo motor. They are usually larger than the L series engines, have cross flow heads that keep heat away from the intake ports, hemi combustion chambers and dual plugs.

correct napz

Repair mostly, though I find performance books to be much more informative in general. 

I just bought "how to rebuild your nissan datsun OHC engine" which is all about L motors up to 78' and "how to modify your nissan datsun OHC engine" which covers the nissan motors more broadly and "1982 Datsun Pick-Up Service Manual" which hasn't arrived yet.  I understand the L20B and the napz are really similar, mostly just a different head, does that make the info I'll find in "how to rebuild your nissan datsun OHC" helpful? or am I walking into a trap? I realize if I do end up having to rebuild this motor I will need engine specific specs, but this will be the first time I'll rebuild an engine alone.  Right now I guess I'm just trying to collect as much info as possible.

The Z20 and L20B blocks are the same but for minor casting changes and are interchangeable, cranks identical. Piston and rod combinations can be swapped in sets. The Z22 block is the same but a larger bore cast in. Z24 identical again, but even larger bore and the block is 2cm or 3/4" taller than the L20B/Z20/Z22 blocks. Crank/rods much larger. It's really the Z series NAPS head that makes it a Z series.

The all out best book for all related works on the Z series is the FSM (factory service manual) for your year and model 720. The "how to rebuild your nissan datsun OHC engine" tips may have some info good for below the head in the block. L and Z series motors will take a KA high volume oil pump.