PLEASE HELP!! dieseling problem/weird idle

StewyN

So im at a wall, i have the z24 8 plug engine, its gotta deiseling and weird idle problem. Ive cleaned and gapped the plugs, tied up some loose vacuum lines, the fast idle cam was worn smooth, (now replaced).... and i dont know where to go from there. This problem just occured one day, didnt get worse over time. I did the tune up and other stuff AFTER the problem started. But it still has issues. It doesnt happen every time i drive it, only about 50% of the time.. kinda hit and miss. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the choke is shutting off when warmed up. Choke heater working intermittent, Perhaps sticky linkage.

Check that the fast idle is off when warmed up.  Perhaps sticky linkage.

If engine idles high perhaps throttle worn on carb, cable too tight or sticking.

Try spraying WD-40 or carb cleaner on carb linkages and moving them through their full range of motion to clean/clear them.

well i got to checking the auto choke and found that the spring inside is worn out or something ( choke is riveted on, so i cant check for sure) theres no tention what so ever on the fast idle arm. how do i go about fixing that?

Well i did that, its still not adjustadle tho, theres a groove a tooth setting it in one position. Spring was worn out tho so i swapped for a better one off spare part carb. Any one know where to find a good diagram on setting the fast idle cam? i just kinda geussed. Gonna throw it on and see how it does...

Yeah leave alone, should be fine still.

My Z24 carb had a tab that prevents the choke from turning to adjust it. They are pre set and locked in place at the factory. A little trimming will remove this problem and make it adjust.

well i played with all that, it ran better than ever for about a week. now it has a terrible sputter/backfire (yes ive checked ALL vacuum lines) it seems to have problems when i punch the gas, well after actually. itll run great once i get it there but it seems like if i ever gotta get up and go, it immediately has complications... any thoughts?

To test the EGR, on a cold engine, start it and stick a finger in the EGR valve and push a little. If the engine stumbles you know the valve was sealing good. Do this before the valve gets hot so you dont burn yourself. Datsun EGR rarely causes a problem

Far more common cause of sputter/backfire/ problems when i punch the gas" is contaminated fuel bowl.

well i played with all that, it ran better than ever for about a week. now it has a terrible sputter/backfire (yes ive checked ALL vacuum lines) it seems to have problems when i punch the gas, well after actually. itll run great once i get it there but it seems like if i ever gotta get up and go, it immediately has complications... any thoughts?

A part blocked primary jet would give poor off idle acceleration and lean backfire.

• Like 1

i was betting on something like that i put some enzyme stuff and a little lucas but it still sputters, am i looking at a carb rebuild? and as for the sputter it doesnt only happen when i punch the thottle, thats what sets it off. it was running great and i had to floor it to miss a car and ever since it *sput**sput**sput*

You are missing the cause and solution.

Dirty fuel bowl is common and only takes a few minutes to drain. But it is not the only cause of sputtering and bogging. Next I would test the fuel pump volume, or clean the primary jet.

Does it run good when cold? If so the coil may be going out.

i dont think it would be the pump, i replaced that about a year ago. how do i go about locating and cleaning the primary? it does do a little better when cold but not much, it still bogs but not as constant as when its hot