620 valve seats

Apollo77

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a fast leak, just a droplet or two start to form. I have been slowly working on getting this thing back together and now my motorcycle took a shit turn and now I'm screwed. Don't have the moneys I would need to fix everything. Know what I means

If lapped properly, they'll hold liquid  indefinitely.  Drips or seepage after 12 seconds isn't a bad seal, it's not a seal at all.

But make sure you have them clean.  Even a trace of lapping compound on the seat or face will make it leak.  Wiping with a rag is not enough.

The L16, L18 and the early L20B had brass or bronze valve seats in the intakes.  The intake valves will actually wear into the seat.  Engines with a lot of miles or high amounts of wear can have the intake valves well below the surface of the chamber.  This also moves the other end of the valve up away from the head and reduces spring pressure.  You can see this by the lash adjuster having little or no travel left.  To fix this, the seats need to be removed and new ones installed.  Usually the valve guides are also pretty much gone at this point.  A rebuild is needed. 

The later L20B engines had hard intake seats instead of the brass or bronze seats of the earlier heads.

On the exhaust seats, the problem is usually pitting that causes them not to seal.  Excessive pitting can lead to burning a valve, if run this way for awhile, it can really screw up the seat and possibly cause cracking.

• Like 1