sd22 starter

rockdog

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest looking in the PNP yards every few weeks till you find a diesel 720 and grab the starter, you should always have a good extra around.

You should also find an alternator, as they are diesel specific also, there are a lot of things you should have extra of.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think your starter went out?

Since I got the truck it will start right up or just click click click then starter or silanoid will catch and truck starts right up..... other day did it and wouldn't let loose so got out and tapped on starter with wood end of hammer.....it started right up..... today all I got was the click......even after tapping on the starter.....clean battery and good connections....I also noticed that starter had alot of tap marks on it where someone else was not as gentle as I was.....push started it and got it home.....

Since I got the truck it will start right up or just click click click then starter or silanoid will catch and truck starts right up..... other day did it and wouldn't let loose so got out and tapped on starter with wood end of hammer.....it started right up..... today all I got was the click......even after tapping on the starter.....clean battery and good connections....I also noticed that starter had alot of tap marks on it where someone else was not as gentle as I was.....push started it and got it home.....

The SD series starters are known for doing what you are talking about, at least 50 percent of the time it is the cable going from the starter to the battery, sometimes if I tightened the nuts on the starter that holds the cable, my issues would go away, and 90 percent of the time if I jumped the two main posts together with a wide screwdriver, it would start without issues also, I have lost a starter in the last month, it would run without issues, it just will not engage the flywheel.

I have found that most starting issues with these engines stem from low voltage batteries, if you have to jump the truck to get it started when it sits a long time, this is what I am talking about, low voltage screws up starters, it really hard on the aperture, do not use any battery that is not in perfect shape on these engines/starters, they are to expensive to ruin that way.

For a long time it drove me crazy when I would pull a starter out thinking it was bad, to find out it was just fine, and worked great when I put it back in, it was the connections almost every time, as I mentioned, I did lose a starter recently, it turned half speed, and it would not engage the flywheel in the end.

Do you have the gear reduction starter, or the direct drive type?

Does it run when removed on the ground?

Lets see how the new one works, the reason I asked about which type you have is because I have 2 direct drive starters on the shelf(1 new, 1 used), another used direct drive unit on the engine in the shed, and one gear reduction starter that needs rebuilt.

I can loan a used one out if needed, but the direct drive units are a little harder to install.

Its one of the gear reduction starters.thanks for the offer. Im picking up a new one tomorrow at o'riallys. I have to go after work. No big deal.just have to drive the gas hog for the day.

Don't give them your core, have your core rebuilt, do not give up your core!!!

I have my cores rebuilt by a guy in Vancouver, it's less than $200.00 and I get a local warranty.

whoops too late now........O'Reilly's took it as a core.....the starter was $98

good thing is is I have a lifetime warranty on it......and the truck is running again......

Running is always good.

$98.00 is really cheap for one of these starters, hope it lasts a while, it's a pain installing them, that top bolt is a pain in the ass.

• Like 1

I've been dealing with volkswagons for 15 years....theres some insane nuts and bolts on those.....it wasnt to bad......I didn't think I could find anything more basic then an air cooled vw...... absolutely love this thing!!!!