RE4R01A Automatic

Well before going off to some 240sx site, I will try and see if anyone in here would have some information....

Building an RE4R01A transmission to convert my 5spd to 4spd auto. Now I am debating on building a Transmission computer and have my current ECU control shifting. I can just make a switch for a transbrake. Thing is its $300+ more in boards and cases to build the controller.

Does anyone know if the internal selenoids will shift the tranny by just sending them a voltage signal? If so I can just make myself a floor shifter and have it be manual control only.

How about Automatic shifters that have contacts instead of cables/levers?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a RE4R01A is a frontier transmission. As we all know the job of any transmission is to multiply torque at relatively low speed to transfer power and then obtain a direct or overdrive gear at high speeds to the input shaft turns slower than the output shaft. Robert, I believe these transmissions use the ECM to control shifting by using engine sensor voltage inputs such as TPS, MAF, MAP, CKP, ECT etc. The voltage signals from the engine sensors is used to detect engine speed and load. The ECM then energizes shift solenoids to control shift valves in the valve body, opening passages and directing pressurized fluid to certain clutch packs to obtain the gear ratio to match engine speed. If you were to run a separate transmission controller, then yes wire it to the ECM to control shifting. As for the shift linkage having contacts instead of levers, I dont know how that could be adapted because the shift linkage directly controls the manual valve inside the valve body.

Hope this was of some help. B)