HOT SPARK

Ok, my kid talks me into buying a 71/521..... I'm a muscle car guy, and own several motorcycles. The truck is in really good shape with little needed, except maybe more cab space for my fat ass. Anyway the dizzy was looking a little ragged and the performance was lacking with the vacuum advance doing little to help out. So, I buy a Hot Spark dizzy. It drops right in, no issue there. The instructions are lacking, it says run the red wire to positive and the black to negative. Issue is there is a ballast and a condenser ? Am I supposed to bypass these? I read in one article where I should maybe bypass the ballast and connect the wire from both sides directly....What about this condenser looking thing above the coil? The engine is turning freely and sounds like it wants to fire, but just doesn't catch... I've dropped dozens of these things in Muscle and never ran up against this. I guess I need somebody to talk the old guy through it...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since your a muscle car guy you should know.

the ballast resisitor is for the point coil so they dont burn up. (muscle cars use a resisitive wire sometimes from key switch.

what youll do is hook up the red wire to the ballast resisitor that has the 12volts with key on. This is the blk/wht wire. Just go to the store and and get those double tab jumpers so you dont have to cut the stock datsun wireing.

the blk wire goes to the minus side coil.

remeber when you got this dizzy did you make sure the motor is set to #1 and notice which way the rorot points.

the Hotspark is made in China so let us know how good they are. Only concern is the mount in which it goes on to the rotor lines up correctly. Not all datsun use the same pedastal timming plate mount and most should be installed as a set. Chevy distributor you can just turn them till you get it right.

the condensor is not needed but save if you ever need the point dizzy in case the made in China Hotspark module breaks. I use the USA Pertronix but those only fit single point dizzys

save this

Thanks, this gives me some options to look at. The only issue was the dist. clamp. It didn't line up with the mount and I couldn't get the timing set. I pulled the old one off the old dist. and it lined up and was able to set the static timing. #1 lined up fine. I'll let you know how it goes.

Keep the ballast resistor - the original coil REQUIRES it , whether using points or EI.

Don't change the original Datsun wiring. The Start wire goes to one side of the resistor and the Ign wire to the other. Get it wrong and it may fire off, but won't run.

Hot-Spark is not compatible with a high energy coil like the Datsun EI coil. So using the stock 521 coil + ballast is recommended.

If you fit the Hot-Spark coil it has a ballast built-in, so be sure to remove the ballast resistor And connect both Start and Ign wires to it. It will be harder to start.

Ok, just a little info... the dist. lock plate it came with is worthless. It didn't align with anything. Went back to the original, but ran out of plate trying to time it. We modified the plate by opening the adjustment hole and using a larger washer to lock it down. Was able to get the timing spot on and now the truck runs pretty well. I think the 0-60 may be under a minute.... Anyway, cool little truck that attracts groups of Asian men who like to take pictures of it. Seems it was the truck they all wanted when they were young men. Can't really take it anywhere without somebody wanting to talk about it or buy it.

Thanks again, the Petronic's schematic with the ballast retained was what we went with, and it seems to be fine....

• Like 1