Must gasket bore match cylinder bore?

D.D.Anderson

Well, today i got another question, after searching for an old post with this theme, i can't find any

answers if the bore must match the gasket, I had no problems with this on motorcycles, but is there

any different on cars?

The A14 is 76-77mm bore i guess, but all i can find is gaskets with 79mm bores...

Someone got time to discuss this? while prepairing for this i just came up with this "Bore match gasket" thought...

Was lucky enough to accuire a 60000 low millage H89 head with water ports for manifold blocked off.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They must not be smaller than the bore and protrude into the combustion chamber where the combustion gasses can get to them. It will heat them up and can cause pre ignition and it will erode away the thin metal 'fire rings'. As long as the metal rings are back from the bore edge and clamped between head and block they will stay cool.

Please tell me where you find 79mm bore gaskets, because Nismo and Tomei want a fortune for them.

Nissan/Payen are smaller, as are Fel-Pro, Victor Reinz and other aftermarket gaskets. See RockAuto.com

I often buy from Toshio Endo from B-Projects Japan, but it isn't cheap there either...

I have asked many about this, some people are telling me that a bigger bore gasket gives same problem

if too small bore or makes it leak faster...

I can't find Stock head gaskets anywhere, and rock auto does not provide the diameter information.