cluster

Jaims

well its been a month or so since I logged in. I am busy with my first baby girl. I was driving the mule home the other day and finally had it with my old square gauge cluster. I got a cluster from a 1984 4x4. I drive a 1980 4x4. I was wondering if any one had a link to a wiring diagram for the 1980 and 1984 Datsun 720 wiring diagram. I want to swap clusters out, I know this will not be easy. So far I got the tach to work.... any help and or advice would be great. I was able to install the 1984 tilt column thanks to y'all. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my later 720 gauges...

620stuff003Large.jpg

Earlier gauges...

72082dashclocktach.jpg

I think they will swap but the wiring is different. I used an '85 4x4 dash but earlier wiring harness. One plug was the same... probably the ignition,headlights and wiper but the gauges were totally mixed. Left turn signal and the charge light would flash, stuff like that. All I did was push the pin out for the left signal and move it to the correct position to mate to the correct dash wire for the left signal. I got everything working but the high beams.

Someone just did this recently but it didn't turn up in the search. There are two 10 pin dash gauge plugs. One has all the gauges and warning lights but the pins are in the wrong positions. Left turn makes the high beam flash... stuff like that. The only think I didn't get working was the high beam indicator, everything else including optional clock and tach work just fine.

I used a straightened hair or bobby pin to push the barb on the pin in so it can be pushed out backwards. You may have to pry the barb back out so it will lock into place when pushed into the new location.

I think I moved the pins on the dash harness side, that way if the gauge cluster ever needed changing the wires were already swapped around. My head hurts from looking but I think all I did was match the wire colors on the harness to the correct color wire on the gauge side of the plug. IIRC it was only one of the 10 pin connectors, the White one. Hey if I can do it you can.

Someone just did this recently but it didn't turn up in the search. There are two 10 pin dash gauge plugs. One has all the gauges and warning lights but the pins are in the wrong positions. Left turn makes the high beam flash... stuff like that. The only think I didn't get working was the high beam indicator, everything else including optional clock and tach work just fine.

oooohhhhhhh...Quartz clock! Someone has the upgrade. LOL.

Do you have the 4x4 guages in your center console like mine? Well....like mine did? sense I pulled them out. :(