L28et Blow off Valve

iwayman

I've been planning on doing some intake work so I can daily drive this next quarter.

This is my current setup with a non-crossflow intercooler and a pretty disappointing steel intake piping setup made from scrap piping I had at the time

G516IhQ.jpg

However, I will only have a couple days to get this to a dd status.

So I am planning on taking the stock intake from the turbo parts car we have, doing a couple small modifications, and using it until I am able to invest in a high quality intercooler and aluminum intake piping.

X7waFhy.jpg

FJ7eids.jpg

k9yM50S.jpg

Qoj31jc.jpg

gL9E3Ix.jpg

Since this won't be a permanent I am hoping to build this with a fairly small budget.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a blow off valve setup?  While I have read that most ZXTs don't require recirculated BOVs, I've found that recirculation is a must with my JWT engine management so I'm thinking I might switch to a plumb back bov rather than the type-rd style I have.

I have found a couple examples by searching the internet

F3UKSuX.png

ccCVCCF.png

pzRdtRa.png

eodiDeZ.png

5HAnPxZ.jpg

At this point I am thinking potentially do something like this last example with something like a stock Bosch bypass valve from something like an A4 1.8t similar to this.  Although, I'd like to get the type H34, but it's a little outside of my budget right now.  However, the type rs could work like the first example j-pipe if I could find a well priced recirculation adapter along with a weld in flange.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much boost will you be running? You can get away with a stock valve off of something if it's not too much.

Basically stock psi since I will not be running an intercooler.  I read the limit of safe boot is around 10 psi so I am shooting for 8psi tops right now.

Pretty much any bosch or or stock diverter valve should handle that just fine. If you see your psi slowly dropping off on a long pull, then that will be your first culprit, but most of the time, they will hold up pretty good. Run it with one of those while you save some extra for a really good one. Also (and you already know this it seems) I have already went the route of venting to the atmosphere with an ecu that was set up for re-circulation once. It did not like it at all and would go pig rich, thinking it still had that extra air in there when I lifted my foot or shifted.

Pretty much any bosch or or stock diverter valve should handle that just fine. If you see your psi slowly dropping off on a long pull, then that will be your first culprit, but most of the time, they will hold up pretty good. Run it with one of those while you save some extra for a really good one. Also (and you already know this it seems) I have already went the route of venting to the atmosphere with an ecu that was set up for re-circulation once. It did not like it at all and would go pig rich, thinking it still had that extra air in there when I lifted my foot or shifted.

Ya I have been looking at the stock boschs as one of my top choices, especially the plumb back since I might be able to route it from the stock hose barb for less fabricating.  My very first setup was venting to atmosphere, with the jwt and the 420cc injectors it chokes as soon as you let off the throttle. 

They are a dime a dozen for the universals. I have installed many of these and they work just fine. Has a hose attachement for recirc systems.

Why are you not going with the IC?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-ADJUSTABLE-BILLET-ALUMINUM-TYPE-S-PSI-TURBO-BLOW-OFF-VALVE-BOV-BLACK-/190668585296?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c64bbb950&vxp=mtr#ht_3825wt_1362

Here is an adapter if needed, but you can buy them with adapters attached.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-SSQV-SQV-Turbo-Blow-Off-Valve-BOV-Flange-Adapter-SQV4-SSQV4-SQV3-3-4-2-/221391587888?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338bf78a30&vxp=mtr#ht_514wt_1362

Tuneable ECU would have been best...and cost the same. NISTUNE for ex.

But JWT is great for pre-programming, but make sure they have it chipped for NON IC setup. Intake temps are much higher and need less spark advance and less fuel.

Although you can still create your own tunes using Burn2 chip burner and chip burning software. TunerPro is a good Hex program to edit and or burn chips if your into that sort of things.

http://240-sx.net/beginners-guide-tuning/

They are a dime a dozen for the universals. I have installed many of these and they work just fine. Has a hose attachement for recirc systems.

Why are you not going with the IC?

I actually have a universal now and I think it leaks since last time I drove it it noticeably leaks boost.  My current setup is just shy of garbage, the intake plumbing should be completely replaced.  If i'm going to replace the intercooler piping I should also get a good crossflow intercooler while I'm at it.  However, I'm on a tight budget as a college student right now so I'm going to delete the ic until I've saved up enough to do it right.

Tuneable ECU would have been best...and cost the same. NISTUNE for ex.

But JWT is great for pre-programming, but make sure they have it chipped for NON IC setup. Intake temps are much higher and need less spark advance and less fuel.

Eventually I'd like to swap to standalone, but again that'll be down the road when I have the cash.  I have the JWT setup because I picked up the turbo parts car with all of the mods for a grand.