Clutch Soft and Low

wagoon

I noticed one day my clutch is softer and much more low than usual. The pedal is also squeeky when I push down on the clutch. I also checked the clutch slave cylinder and the fluid was low. I did add some Dot 3 but did not have anyone to help me bleed it. Is my clutch going or should I replace the Slave cylinder? Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Inspect the slave for wetness and the carpet under the pedals. If fluid low ... it went somewhere. If slave wet it's obviously leaking and needs replacing. New Nissan ones are about $60 so half that for an auto parts replacement should be similar quality. A $9 special from China will only leave you stranded. I did get a rebuild kit from Nissan once for $12. Had everything needed even the rubber cover for the bleed nipple and worked forever.

The fluid does not last forever and is hydroscopic (absorbs water) so needs to be changed every 3-5 years anyway to protect the steel parts inside it. I would bleed the system with fresh fluid and see if this fixes the problem. This is the cheapest easiest thing to try and no harm done if it does not work.