Diesel-ing my 84 4x4 720 with TD27T?

genustri

I just bought a 1984 Nissan 720 Kingcab 4x4.  My dad used to own one when I was a kid, and I've always loved these trucks.  The engine and interior need some TLC, but the body is in stellar condition with no rust or dents on it.  The suspension and body have also been lift slightly which is a plus.

I just pulled the stock Z24 engine and FS5W71b transmission (213,000 mi) last weekend to do a full rebuild on both.  I have been going back and forth on keeping the stock engine or putting something in that has a little more power.  I'm till trying to figure that out.

So here's my question:  Does anybody know anything about putting a T27 or T27T engine into a 720 4x4?  I have access to one, but I haven't been able to find much information about a 720 TD27 swap on the internet.  From what I've found, with the right bell housing this engine will bolt to my FS5W71b.  Beyond that, I'm not sure whether this is even a good idea.  Are there any other diesel engines that would be easier/better?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your response.  Yes, I've read about the sd25 and thought about trying to find one of those.  My question was specifically about the TD27t, though, because I have access to one of them.  Plus, from what I've read the sd25 is hard to turbo.

This guy says its easy to swap into a D21

Just move the drivers side motor mount up a couple inches.

The 720 and early D21 were identical chassis but I don't know

about the later D21's

The swap you talk about is done in NZ and Aus quite a bit

search on UTE swap TD27 or 2.7 litre.

They call the 720 in Aus the UTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_qq6nnWADI

Thanks for the responses....yeah sorry ggzilla, I guess I forgot to mention that I'd already looked into the SD25, my bad....I still appreciate the info and answer.

That's a great video, now I just wonder how similar his D21 chasis is to my 720.  That is a great engine from what I've read.  I'm still trying to figure out if I should just rebuild the z24 it came with or try something new.  Decisions decisions...

• 4 weeks later...