72 510 wiring question

dgi

There is a relay mounted on the radiator support on the drivers side just towards the radiator at the low end of the headlight hole.

At first I thought headlight relay, but I thought the 510 only has one relay for the headlights mounted on the passenger side fender panel behind the battery. Plus the headlights are working perfectly.

The PO painted the case so no number is visible and the wiring in that corner of the car is not exactly virginal. The wiring coming from the fuse box to that point appears unmolested, except for changes for an internally regulated alternator.

What is this relay for? Is it supposed to be there and why?

This relay's male connector has been "jumpered". The relay and mount appears to be original equipment.

So, I removed the jumper and connected the relay. Car doesn't crank, no power to the coil. Nothing else seemed to be affected. However, my old, old schematic doesn't indicate any relay in the ignition circuit.

Anybody got an idea how this should really be connected?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a relay mounted on the radiator support on the drivers side just towards the radiator at the low end of the headlight hole.

At first I thought headlight relay, but I thought the 510 only has one relay for the headlights mounted on the passenger side fender panel behind the battery. Plus the headlights are working perfectly.

The PO painted the case so no number is visible and the wiring in that corner of the car is not exactly virginal. The wiring coming from the fuse box to that point appears unmolested, except for changes for an internally regulated alternator.

What is this relay for? Is it supposed to be there and why?

This relay's male connector has been "jumpered". The relay and mount appears to be original equipment.

So, I removed the jumper and connected the relay. Car doesn't crank, no power to the coil. Nothing else seemed to be affected. However, my old, old schematic doesn't indicate any relay in the ignition circuit.

Anybody got an idea how this should really be connected?

According to the wiring diamgram I have from Paolo (fantastic full color laminated) there is a points relay that mounts to the radiator. It has 4 wires going to it and it activates the 2nd set of points in the dual points distributor.

Wires are:

black/yellow - goes to points#2

black/red - goes to neg. side of coil

blue/white - goes to the throttle sw. mounted to the firewall

black - goes to ground

Thanks for the quick answer.

This baby has a L20B with a single point distributor installed. So that probably explains why the relay was jumpered. No need for the 2nd point stuff.

Of course, if the correct wire is going to the distributor, the relay shouldn't really need to be tampered with.

I will check the wires by the color combinations you described for correct connections (or lack thereof). The coil appears to be an aftermarket replacment coil and the ballast resistor is there. Now, I'll just have to verify everything is hooked up correctly. There were a couple of (unused) wires connected to one end of the ballast resistor which I would suspect wouldn't be the place to try to pick up 12v.

BTW, where could a fellow get one of those diagrams you mentioned? Certainly would help my tired old eyes, especially if it is larger than this postage stamp I'm looking at.

Thanks again.

ck this all you need from the car wiring.

Then take the L20b dizzy which will be 1 wire ( you can make it) or use the stock BLK/RED,just make sure it goes to the -coil side

Although that is a nice simplified version, the one from Paolo is so much more detailed and shows all of the wiring and all of the relays, options (like tach an clock) and the gauge wires too.

I know, this is ratsun and you guys do it on the cheap but for the $20 he wants for it, it will pay you back in time saved.

These pics were taken out of focus so they can't be used for anything other then to give you an idea of how nice the diamgrams are. Buy one from Paolo. It is worth the money. I used it to complete my V8 engine swap and it saved me so much time and aggrevation.

Wiring_Diagrams_004.jpg

The back side is full of specs, capacities and so much more useful info.

Wiring_Diagrams_003.jpg

Paolos drawing is very good and I wish I had one.

But what i posted is a quick and EZ drawing just to show what you need to get a 510 running.

The BLK/WHT wire is 12v "ON"

the blk/blu is the 12v "START" wire(need to bypass the ballast if running point coil and ballast)

the rest is not needed and just tape them up and hide them(wires and relays for the 3rd gear switch,also on the firewall,yeah that plastic box looking thing with the micro switch inside)