FLARES, has anyone used something other then WELT?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant remember the name of the product specifically but I remember my dad telling me about it on his VW beetles. Its a cushion between the fender and the body because the fender will rattle/rub the paint of the body if its just metal to metal.

Its also an easy way to tell if a fender has come off/on for work or repair as most people forget to install it and/or it rots away and the P/O didnt know to put it back in.

Iirc it was something you can buy NOS for beetles or go to Home Depot and buy.

When tightened down, it will also help keep water out of the bolt/rivnut holes which will stop rust from starting. 

which makes the most sense for the welt/rubber...still need to find something that may work, Im sure the flare companies are pretty proud of their welt material/rubber...lol

thanks to both of you and your responses

Is there a reason you refuse to use actual flare welting?

lol...no not really, Im only assuming it cost more then it needs to, and it will have to be ordered and shipped, however I have not looked into it yet. I just figured someone would chim in and say, "hey I used such snd such and got it at this hardware store"...I can research and check on the cost it may be less then I think.