VG33 help.

tr8er

Just bought a 01 Frontier. It skips at low rev. Does not really impact drivability, but I want to figure out the cause. And fix it. I've replaced the rotor cap, plug wires, and three spark plugs. The other three are a bit more tricky.

If you own a VG, you know which three are the bitch. Why the hell did they build the engine like this. Fuck you Nissan.

Tips are welcome. There is crud around the plugs not allowing my wrench to get on the plug. And any crud left will fall right down the cylinder. Stupid. I'm thinking just break it up with a long ass flat driver, then blow it out. Or off road the fucker till it flips, allowing the crud to fall away from the cylinder.

I already don't like this engine. Please tell me it's a good engine in spite of this architecture.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly dont know what your problem with the plugs are. Use 2 yokes and 1 short and 1 long extension, if you cant manage it then remove the mani.  
Plugs shouldnt be causing your issue anyway. I would check and clean all your grounds as well as remove clean and re-install the aac-iacv. 

The engine is an all round good performer. It doesnt really excel in any field so much as just do everything well enough. They built that particular one as they did because its a truck motor and the longer runner are better for low end tq. 

Just bought a 01 Frontier. It skips at low rev. 

If you own a VG, you know which three are the bitch. Why the hell did they build the engine like this. Fuck you Nissan.

Tips are welcome. There is crud around the plugs not allowing my wrench to get on the plug. And any crud left will fall right down the cylinder. Stupid. I'm thinking just break it up with a long ass flat driver, then blow it out. Or off road the fucker till it flips, allowing the crud to fall away from the cylinder.

Skips At low revs?

Is it like it is "missing" on one cylinder? Or is it like a fluctuation in idle speed(50-100rpm) that lasts for a few seconds?

Yes, those other three plugs are a little harder to get to. Pretty sure that those other three can be done without pulling the manifold, but they are not easy and it requires the right combination of tools. But you nailed it on the process, Blow those holes clean before taking the plugs out. On the bright side, those plugs are super easy compared to most v6 minivans.

Ohhh. and I agree it's a good motor. Just make sure you keep a good timing belt in it.

New Timing belt 5000 miles ago.  How bad it got before that?  I know not.  But tonight I successfully got the plugs swapped.  Finished at 10:00, so I didn't test drive.  But it starts and runs smooth.  I'm a pessimist, so I'm not too excited yet.  I will need to feel it tomorrow.  Bet I definitely think the change was due:

347af78d-c171-471c-892c-3b9cbbe3cda3.jpg

photo3.jpg

That #6 was insane on my arms.  I'm really not certain that I got all of the dirt out before I pulled the plug.  In fact, I think I got some in there.  At some point I had pulled the plug, but upon pulling out my wrench, it mush have fallen out.  I spent a good 15 minutes trying to stab the socket onto a plug that wasn't there.  This process surely pushed some crud in there.  Shit happens.  

Smart phones are damn good at seeing in tight spaces.  Turn on the video camera, and shine a flashlight and you can almost see what you are doing.  

The other plugs looked no better by the way, but cleaner process.