Installing a coolant temperature gauge and sensor

gryffinwings

What would be the easiest way to install the gauge and sensor into my 720, I've never had to do this, but I have a feeling that the stock gauge isn't giving me very accurate readings. So I'm looking into installing coolant temp gauge and sensor. Oil pressure will be later. Ideas and recommendations please. My truck is a base model 1984 model.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you really want to go ahead. I would borrow a IR temp gun and 'shoot' the thermostat housing and get the real temp and compare to the gauge. Generally I find about 1/3 of the way into the NORMAL marked range is about right for a 185 thermostat. On hot days maybe a needle with below the middle or 1/2  point in the NORMAL range.

Running hotter or colder could be the thermostat needs changing and that's cheaper than a set of gauges and then a thermostat change.

Step 1: get a non-contact IR temp gauge

The middle of the temp range should be around 70-80 degrees Celsius

Gather actual data rather than jumping to conclusions.

I'm not sure what your referring to as a non-contact ir temp gauge.

Also what are you referencing that should be 70-80 degrees when the gauge is in the middle.

Well if you really want to go ahead. I would borrow a IR temp gun and 'shoot' the thermostat housing and get the real temp and compare to the gauge. Generally I find about 1/3 of the way into the NORMAL marked range is about right for a 185 thermostat. On hot days maybe a needle with below the middle or 1/2  point in the NORMAL range.

Running hotter or colder could be the thermostat needs changing and that's cheaper than a set of gauges and then a thermostat change.

I've already changed out the thermostat, so I'm pretty sure the temperature is good, but the problem I'm having is that I was messing with the gauge cluster installing a tach and I may have moved the temp gauge needle without realizing it.

I've already changed out the thermostat, so I'm pretty sure the temperature is good, but the problem I'm having is that I was messing with the gauge cluster installing a tach and I may have moved the temp gauge needle without realizing it.

I know the one you mean. The needle is spring loaded and will just return to zero. It should run about 1/3 up in the normal range... good enough.

I do know the gauges are spring loaded, but I'm comparing my gauge to others on the net and it seems like mine is a little off, if you push the needle beyond its stop point then the position of the resting point is changed, I had this problem with the tachometer when I was installing it, I found I wasn't actually being very careful. So I may have to just take the cluster out and reposition the needle.

Either way, I'm still likely to install a separate temp gauge along with a oil pressure gauge, so my questions still stand.

I just remembered that I have a set of Equus Guages (Temp, Voltage, and Oil Pressure) in a triple mount, lying around, I'm just going to install that, but I have a couple items that I need to have to install them. The coolant temp sensor does not have the mounting hardware I need and I need to know what size the temp sensor is and which I could remove or if there is an auxiliary port that I could put this in.