Secure cargo storage for standard bed, standard cab '85 720?

xsdg

Hey, y'all

So, now that my truck is finally smogged, I'm starting to think about making it more livable.  The main thing I'd like is somewhere to stick stuff that's reasonably secure and that thieves can't see into.  I've specifically got my sights set on a cross-bed toolbox, and/or a hard tonneau cover, but I'm having trouble finding anything that will fit the bed.

So far, I've primarily been researching boxes.  The main problem is that the ones that are the right size also extend so far back that they'd probably hit the wheel arches in the bed.  What I would _love_ is a gullwing box that takes the full depth of the bed and rests on the bed rails, but at this point, I'm having trouble finding _anything_ that actually has any volume to it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As mentioned, I've been also thinking about a hard tonneau cover (specifically so someone can't knife it, grab, and go).  Generally, most of the cheapo auto places (Pep Boys, Auto Zone) don't seem to offer any options here, and I haven't done any more in-depth research yet.  Because my goal here is at least an appearance of security, I'd also probably need to replace the tailgate handle with something that locks.  If anyone has ideas/suggestions for that, I'm all ears.  This is the kind of thing I'd be looking for:

http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-bed-accessories/60A2797A0A0.aspx

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh* I really need to learn how to weld...  For the curious, the explanation is on page 54; it's super simple:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/7446-project-mx520-top-secret/page-54?do=findComment&comment=616290

If I were doing it, I'd probably do a full-width hinge at the 2/3 mark or so, to help with access to the bed.  Then just make a lock cylinder integral with the cover, and maybe even lock it straight to the tailgate or something.  Anyway, just ideas for now. Will keep looking.