Nissan Z24 Carby/Intake Questions?

camsta97

Hey guys a few queries before i spend some $$, i have a nissan z24 motor with a hitachi carby, now i held my hand over the intake pipe and only felt a slight suck :/ does that mean its getting air from elsewhere also? even though its a petrol i'm a 4x4 fanatic and i seen a guy making custom snorkels facing away from the wind while driving with a inline filter setup, does the hitachi carbs on the z24 require rammed air or i should be fine with freeflow air? and help guys? much appreciated

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ram air will make an additional 2.6 HP if it is a cold day and if you rejet the carb to suit the denser air. The reason Nissan fitted the regulated-temp air cleaner is so they could jet the carb more accurately. Removing that system will make the Carb sensitive to temp variations. The solution for that is to jet the Carb richer so it works OK over a large range of temps.

The factory "snorkle" is part of this. It is not designed to be an air-tight offroading snorkle, but only a cool-air source. It is then mixed with hot air off the exhaust manifold tube to provide consistent temperature air to the carburetor.

I go through lots of mud and water and every time I do I shit myself thinking is this the time she sucks in water and dies, so I'm getting a custom snorkel made for it which looks the same as this

1NvlPsq.png

It comes with an inline air filter thus I can remove all the intake and have it straight to carb